Warm Breakfast Grains Fruit Crumble
This warm fruit crumble, with its crunchy topping, can be made with any seasonal fruit you have lying around, from berries to bananas. Organic Breakfast Grains—a mix of buckwheat, barley, and oats—in the topping, no butter, and just thinly sliced or chopped fruit for the filling makes this crumble hearty and unusually invigorating. If you’re using a drier fruit like apples or bananas, mix 2 tbsp. of water into the topping before baking. P.S. It’s great with yoghurt. And you can eat it for dessert, too.
SKILL LEVEL: EASY
MAKES ABOUT 6 SERVINGS
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- 2 pouches Patagonia Provisions Breakfast Grains (any flavor)
¼ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup whole-wheat flour
- ¼ tsp fine salt
- ½ cup virgin coconut oil, melted, or 7 tbsp. sunflower oil
- 6 to 8 cups diced or thinly sliced seasonal fruit
PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- In a food processor, pulse Breakfast Grains, brown sugar, flour, almonds and salt a few times to combine.
- Pour mixture into a medium mixing bowl and thoroughly mix in oil.
- Put diced fruit in a 33cm x 22cm glass baking dish.
- Top with crumble mixture and cover with foil.
- Bake 20 minutes, then uncover and bake until fruit is bubbling at the edges and topping is crisp, 10 to 15 minutes more.